Convento de São Francisco

Praça da República, Portalegre

Upon request

Description

The Convent of São Francisco is located in Alto Alentejo, in the urban area of ​​Portalegre, near the Square of the Republic and the historic city center.

Classified as a Property of Public Interest, the Convent of San Francisco, whose date of foundation is thought to be prior to 1275, began as a male monastery, with Renaissance, Mannerist and Baroque interventions.

The extinction of the Religious Orders determined the rapid degradation of the convent, partially adapted as a military facility. Still in the 19th century, some of the conventual wings were altered and expanded for the installation of a manufacturing unit linked to the cork industry, the Robinson Factory, the oldest and one of the largest cork processing plants in the world. Its two chimneys are an ex-libris of the city.

The main area of ​​the Convent had several other uses and is now vacant.

The permitted use for the concession of the property will be of an hotel establishment, establishment of local accommodation in the form of lodging establishment, or other project of touristic purpose.

 

More information at:

revive_concursos@turismodeportugal.pt

http://revive.turismodeportugal.pt/pt-pt/convento-sao-francisco

  • Address: Praça da República, Portalegre
  • City: Portalegre
  • State/county: Portalegre
  • Zip/Postal Code: 7300-126
  • Country: Portugal, Portuguese Republic

Detail

  • Property ID: 5509
  • Property Size: 4624 m²
  • Land Area: 5959 m²
  • Property Type: Other
  • Property Status: Vacant

Contact info

Programa REVIVE
Programa REVIVE
211140581

Inquire about this property